Monday, May 6, 2013

Sure Foundation for Recovery

1 day sober: (I hate it when that number is so low...)

Well, true to my daily checklist of things to do each day, I got up and had my 20 minutes of scripture study! My mom shared with me a study schedule that her Stake President suggested, so I am starting on that! It is 12 weeks long...so I'm making it a goal to make it that long in recovery. And hopefully even longer! But I still need to remember to take it just one day, one hour, one minute at a time or else I won't make it!

So, the study schedule has a scripture that you read each day for a week and think about it for that whole week and what it means to you personally.  There are also talks from Apostles, the Prophet, and other church leaders from the last General Conference that go along with each scripture to help facilitate the pondering what it means personally.

This weeks scripture is Helaman 5:12 from the Book of Mormon.

    "And now, my sons, remember, remember, that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

I've read this scripture many times since I was 14 and never before have I really thought about what it would mean to have that promise.  "When the devil shall send forth his mighty winds...yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have NO power over you...because of the rock upon which ye are built." That is an amazing promise.  When I read that this morning my mind immediately shot back to last night when I relapsed and how it literally felt like I was caught up in a storm and that I was being beat upon...and the only rest I received was when I reached out to my Heavenly Father and to my Savior to help me.  It was then that I felt their love and their support and I was able to throw off the dark thoughts that had been keeping me down.

I am going to work on rebuilding my foundation on the rock of Christ. It's going to be a long hard road...but I know that as I rely on Him as my Redeemer and Savior and take part in His Atonement, then I will be strengthened to walk with Him each day.

This is my experience, my daily check in, and my hope for another 24 hours or sobriety!

-Grateful and Hopeful

No comments:

Post a Comment